10.08.2009

Way South of the Border - Part Uno


I am a Mexican food snob. I love Mexican food. My husband loves Mexican food. Let me be more specific. We love Tex-Mex, not to be confused with authentic Mexican food. He is from Texas. I lived in Texas for 10 years. Our long-time home, Colorado even had Tex-Mex. It just kind of gets in your blood. Authentic Mexican food is fine and dandy, but we were never really satisfied with the southern California fare. After more than a few failed attempts, we completely gave up searching. Del Taco became our sole Mexican destination.

It's funny how one's perspective can suddenly change.

Now that we live way south of the border, the cravings for super spicy salsa, copious amounts of grated cheddar cheese and sour cream, jalapenos, tacos and enchiladas (even the bad ones) have come flooding back. This being a Latin American country, you'd think there might be a fair amount of that kind of stuff here. You'd be wrong. Not even a Taco Bell (I salivate at the thought.)

I could prepare Mexican food at home. The nearby Tienda Inglesa has Old El Paso flour tortillas (with a hefty price tag.) They offer fresh and pickled jalapenos, ground beef, taco sauce, cheese, avocados and limes. All of the ingredients are available (short of sour cream, which I now understand you can make from scratch.)

I know how to cook and sometimes enjoy it. I consider myself to be respectable in the culinary arts. But you see, I'm at a slight disadvantage. Our current kitchen (and I use the term loosely) takes up about one square meter of our 60 square meter apartment. It's not someplace I want to spend a great deal of my time. Imagine two tall people with a small dog underfoot, crammed into a closet with a toy stove and no counter space. That gives you an idea of what cooking at home is like.


Thus began our journey. The search for Mexican food in Montevideo. Any Mexican food--good or bad--we really didn't care. We were no longer Tex-Mex elitists. We had become sniveling, whimpering junkies looking for our next fix. Our cravings were driving us to the brink of despair. Luckily we recalled hearing that two Mexican restaurants actually do exist in Montevideo. But alas, in the fog of our first few months in the city, we could not remember the names or the locations.

But at least we knew there was hope. To be continued...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been in a similar circumstance before and can fully appreciate the craving for a particular food that is not available locally. One becomes obsessed and totally focused on finding a source and it is difficult to think of anything else.

Good luck with your search. I hope you quench your craving soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, nothing will EVER compare to Tafolino's...and Brandon and I make sure to eat as much of it as we can for you!!

Anonymous said...

Very good Mexican food at reasonable prices in Montevideo is found at:
La Lupita. Teléfono de Pedidos. 712 1966. Dirección Luis de la Torre 565 esq. Gregorio Suárez - Punta Carretas
There is also:
Hacienda Las Palomas Pedro Murillo 6566 600 1979 (Carrasco)
The latter has a stand at the Plaza de Comidas in Punta Carretas Shopping.
Hope this information will be useful to you

Anonymous said...

Best Mexican food at reasonable prices in Montevideo is found at:
La Lupita
Teléfono de Pedidos: 712 1966.
Address: Luis de la Torre 565
esq. Gregorio Suárez Punta Carretas

There is also "Hacienda Las Palomas", at calle Pedro Murillo 6566 in Carrasco
Phone: 600 1979
They also hold a stand at the Plaza de Comidas in Punta Carretas Shopping, with some very nice food and prices.

Hope you will find this information useful.

alex said...

OK, now I feel kinda challenged by a bunch of american expats here... it is NOT true that EVERY NATIVE in uruguay craves only for lame food...
I do grow my own jalapeños, habaneros,anaheims,and de árbol chiles, and do my own concoctions,brews, or salsas as you call them... maybe I'm not well acquainted to Tex-Mex, but I can feed you with "SPICY HOT LATIN-ASIAN FUSION CUISINE"... it's not listed in the Menu (cuz...u guessed it!,most natives eat lame), but just call a day or so ahead and book a table,and name your meat...I'll make sure to blow your nostrils and tastebuds off...! (just in case you like it spicy , but not SO SPICY...be brave enuff and warn us beforehand)
we are near Piriapolis, check us out : http://vidadevagar.blogspot.com/

cheers, alex

Homeagination said...

Alex, don't feel intimidated. We just love spicy food and haven't been able to find the right "heat" here yet. Obviously, Tex-Mex is our preference, so not blow your head off spicy, but way beyond what we can normally get here. We are so thrilled you are in Piria--we will be living there (Playa Hermosa) starting next week for about one year, so I assume we will become regulars. Are you open year 'round or do you close during invierno? Hasta pronto!

alex said...

well,well, well, what dya know... I happen to stumble into your blog and the next thing I realize is you are moving right next to me!:)good thing I don't believe in coincidences...
Linda, there are lotsa expats around here, as you may know, and if you want to, I can link you to them, and maybe soothe that homesickness that transpires thru your latest postings. If you have facebook I could easily recommend you some acquaintances.
cheers

Homeagination said...

That would be great. I am on facebook so it would be great to get to know some people from the area!

alex said...

Ok, but I don't know your surname... how else can I contact you on FB?

Homeagination said...

Oops! It's been a very long day...look for Linda Chechar on FB. Chau!

Post a Comment