6.26.2009

Live from Montevideo!

Ok, Ok. I know it's been more than a while, but I've finally gotten my act together and am ready to regale you with our escapades from south of the equator.

The purpose of my blog is two-fold: I want to keep friends and family in the States updated on our new life, as well as provide a lighthearted source of information to expats in Montevideo who may be as befuddled as we are!

Our first few months have been spent dealing with mundane matters like renting an apartment, beginning the residency process, setting up and figuring out how to pay our utilities, honing our communication skills, etc. In other words, learning the little nuances of everyday life in a new country. It's all quite overwhelming and can, at times, be a full time job.

Is this a luxury hotel in Montevideo? Nope, it's our new home (at least until next April.) Torres Nauticas is a complex of 3 high rise apartment buildings in Pocitos situated one block from the Rambla. The complex has 24 hour security, a small market on the property and is located directly behind Montevideo Shopping (one of the big malls in town.) Our apartment (on the 19th floor) is 66 square meters in size, which by all accounts is pretty darn small. But we have everything we need and are growing accustomed to the close quarters (at least I am!)

We chose this apartment building because of the modern conveniences it provides. I have a washer/dryer combo -- dryers are extremely rare in Uruguay. Most people hang laundry to dry outside their apartment windows or in the lavadero (laundry room with an open window and implement to hang wet clothes.) We have the benefit of the laundry room and the dryer. The apartment also has a dishwasher (which I have yet to use as it is located in the lavadero!) The unit has radiant floor heating and air conditioning in the living room and bedroom (heat and air conditioning are also rare.)

Now, it's time to run to the market for my daily shopping (and a cappuccino!) Needless to say, I am happy to be back in the blogosphere. I look forward to sharing our journey and hearing your comments. Stay tuned.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment